Dashboard permissions dictate which MongoDB Charts users have access to the dashboard and the actions they can perform on the dashboard. The following dashboard permissions are available:
Can open a dashboard and view charts provided they have the
Can perform the following actions:
To view a chart on a dashboard, the user must have both:
Viewerrole (or higher) on the chart's data source
- Any role on the dashboard
You can have no permissions on a dashboard. That dashboard won't
appear on your dashboards tab. Newly-created
dashboards aren't shared by default. Only the dashboard
can view the dashboard until they grant access to more users.
View Dashboard Permissions¶
To view permissions for a specific dashboard, hover over the icon next to the dashboard's Access button. A tooltip appears describing what permission you have on the dashboard, who the owner of the dashboard is, and who else has access to the dashboard.
The following table lists the possible icons and their associated permissions:
If you have
Owner permission and
Anyone with this link sharing is
enabled, the icon doesn't change.
Modify Dashboard Permissions¶
To modify a dashboard's permissions, you
must have the
Owner role on that dashboard.
To modify dashboard permissions, either click the click the permission icon at the top-right of the dashboard from the Dashboards tab:
Or click the Access button at the top-right of the dashboard within the specific dashboard view:
With the Dashboard Permissions dialog open, read the following sections to learn how to grant permissions to a dashboard to:
Specific User Permissions¶
To give specific users permissions on the dashboard:
- Search for the desired user using the search bar directly above where the dashboard users are listed. You can search for users by their username or email address.
- Click the desired user to add them to the permissions list.
Use the dropdown to the right of the user's name to assign the appropriate permission.Important
MongoDB Charts displays a warning banner when the desired user can't access one or more Data Sources used on the dashboard. The user can't see any charts that use that Data Source.
- If you own a Data Source used in the dashboard, click Grant <Level> Access to assign the required permissions.
- If you don't own a Data Source used in the dashboard, ask an Owner to grant permission to the desired user so they can view the data.
- Repeat steps 1-3 for each user you would like to provide dashboard permissions for.
- Click Apply Changes.
To remove permissions for a user, click the trash can icon to the right of the user's name.
Access for All Users¶
To allow access to the dashboard for all users in your Atlas project:
- Toggle the switch on the right-side of the Everyone user
Select the permission to apply to all MongoDB Charts users.
A user's own permissions override others that could come from the Everyone setting.Example
If Everyone has the Author permission and Alice has the Viewer permission, Alice's effective permission is Viewer.Important
MongoDB Charts displays a warning banner when Everyone in <Project Name> can't access one or more Data Sources used on the dashboard. A user might not see a chart that uses a Data Source that to which the user wasn't granted access.
- If you own a Data Source used in the dashboard, click Grant <Level> Access to assign the required permissions to all users in the project.
- If you don't own a Data Source used in the dashboard, ask an Owner to grant permission to Everyone to view the data.
- Click Apply Changes.
Access for Users with a Link to the Dashboard¶
If you want to view a dashboard using a public link, enable Unauthenticated External Sharing on each data source in the charts in the dashboard.
To allow access to the dashboard for users on your MongoDB Charts deployment who have a direct link:
Toggle the switch on the right-side of the Anyone with this link user to
A user's permissions don't affect their ability to view a chart using a link. MongoDB Charts generates two links: a public and a private one. The public link has no permission requirements.Important
MongoDB Charts displays a warning banner when the Data Source Owner hasn't enabled Unauthenticated External Sharing. Users with the link won't be able to see the charts with the specified data source.
- If you own a Data Source used in the dashboard, click Enable External Sharing to fix this issue.
- If you don't own a Data Source used in the dashboard, ask an Owner to enable external sharing to view the data.
- Click Apply Changes.
Don't share links to dashboards that display sensitive data. You can't verify who has access to the link.