Release Notes for MongoDB Connector for BI¶
On this page
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.4
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.3
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.2
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.4
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.3
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.2
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.12.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.11.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.11.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.10.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.9.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.2
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.7.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.6.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.6.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.5.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.4.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.4.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.3.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.3.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.2.1
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.2.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.1.0
- MongoDB Connector for BI 2.0.0
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.4¶
Released September 17, 2021
- Now built with Go 1.16.0.
- Adds support for MongoDB 5.0.
- Adds the RHEL8 ARM distribution to the download center.
- Fixes an issue where empty field paths were not skipped when mapping the subpaths of objects that conflict with scalars.
- Fixes an issue where tarballs for the RHEL 8.1 (IBM POWER) 2.14.3 release were incorrectly structured.
- Removes support for MongoDB 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6.
- Removes support for zSeries distributions.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.3¶
Released March 23, 2021
- Enables the use of externally sourced values in .yaml configuration files.
Adds support for the following fields in .yaml configuration files:
- Fixes an issue where documents with
nullvalues were incorrectly returned from some queries.
- Fixes an issue where some queries took longer to complete than in previous versions of BI Connector.
- Fixes an issue where the
listDatabasescommand returned an error when read preference was set to an analytics node in some sharded cluster configurations.
- Now built with Go 1.5.0.
- Adds the Amazon Linux 2 ARM 64 distribution to the download center.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.2¶
Released January 27, 2021
- Detached signatures are now available for release archives.
- Fixes an issue that resulted in inefficient
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.1¶
Released January 6, 2021
- Now built with Go 1.15.
- Fixes an issue in which geospatial data did not map correctly.
- Fixes an issue with regard to DRDL extended character encoding.
- Fixes an issue in which sharding information failed to load for mixed-case databases.
- Fixes an issue in which the response to
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.14.0¶
Released July 13, 2020
- Database schemas are now case-sensitive.
- Queries containing UNION can be fully pushed down.
- Object-array conflict resolution produces NULL data for conflicting object fields nested in array.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.4¶
Released February 12, 2020
- Fixes bug in mapping that did not deep copy pipelines during table post-processing, leading to invalid SQL schemas.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.3¶
Released January 8, 2020
- Fixes bug that caused panics on document keys containing characters
that need to be escaped, such as
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.2¶
Released January 8, 2020
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.1¶
Released November 26, 2019
max_num_global_tablessystem variable now defaults to
4000, raised from
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.13.0¶
Released November 11, 2019
Fixes the following bugs:
unix_timestampreturning incorrect results because it did not handle Daylight Savings Time when necessary.
- DRDL tables incorrectly marshalling to BSON if the aggregation pipeline was empty.
Version 2.13.0 includes the following improvements:
- Updates an error message for FLUSH SAMPLE authorization that was unclear.
- Updates schema mapping to skip empty field
names and field names containing
- Enables self-join optimization for sharded collections.
- Replaces the
max_num_columns_per_tablesystem variable with
- Enhances performance while sampling collections with many fields by reducing the amount of memory used.
- Improves ambiguous column behavior in subqueries,
- Adds support for Ubuntu 18.04, SLES 15, and RHEL8.
- Adds non-string support for
- Improves performance for schemas that contain arrays.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.12.0¶
Released September 16, 2019
Fixes the following bugs:
mongosqldhangs if an election occurred during sampling.
- Some queries using
- Panics occur when connecting with a
DRDL file that excludes a child table's
- Versions 2.10+ install to the wrong directory on Windows.
- Fixes a bug in the
divoperator’s in-memory evaluation.
mongosqldincorrectly kills long-running queries.
- Some queries on ObjectId fields do not push down.
mongodrdlnot parsing replica set seedlists passed to the
timestampaddfails with out-of-range months.
- Allows aggregate functions as grouping expressions.
datedifffails to push down with polymorphic arguments.
- Displays incorrect foreign key constraints.
- Incorrect pushdown and type conversions
datetimetypes that are too large or too small.
- Aliases for tables in
- Some queries with aggregate functions fail to push down.
- Pipeline parsing error for unwind paths with numeric field names.
- Allows extra arguments to the
dateinstead of a
datetimefor some non-constant format-string arguments.
This release includes a number of improvements to pushdown. Existing translations were improved and expanded pushdown coverage to more functions and query shapes.
- Adds support for pushing down correlated subqueries to MongoDB versions 3.6 and later.
- Adds pushdown support for
connection_id, and constant-valued time/date functions.
- Adds support for pushing down
regexpto the aggregation language.
- Removes some unnecessary rounding from pushdown translations.
- Adds support for pushing down
LIKEexpressions with literal pattern strings to the aggregation language.
- Improves the efficiency of pipelines generated for
- Improves truncate pushdown coverage and updated the translation to use
$truncwith MongoDB versions 4.1.9 and later.
- Adds pushdown support for the
This release includes a number of improvements made possible by upgrading to the new go driver:
Adds new reserved words to the parser:
Going forward, these words must be wrapped in backticks to be used as identifiers in queries.
- Removes support for altering sampled schema with
- Prior to 2.12,
mongosqldsupported renaming and removing tables and columns via a modified
ALTER TABLEsyntax when in standalone schema mode. Any customer currently using this feature is advised to migrate their schema management needs to views, DRDL, or custom schema mode. The variable/config parameter that enabled this feature,
enable_table_alterations, is still supported but doesn’t do anything in BI Connector 2.12. It will be removed in a future release.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.11.1¶
Released July 8, 2019
Fixes a bug that caused the MySQL schema to include incorrect foreign key constraints.
Fixes a bug that caused incorrect pushdown for some very large or very
Fixes a bug that caused aliases to be ignored for tables in the
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.11.0¶
Released May 16, 2019
- Adds a number of optimizations that are applied to generated aggregation pipelines before sending them to MongoDB.
- Adds new subcommands to
mongodrdlfor storing a
DRDLfile in MongoDB and for manipulating stored schemas.
mongosqldto use stored
DRDLschemas instead of sampling. To learn more, see Schema Management Changes in 2.11.
- Introduces the beta version of
mongotranslate, a command-line utility that can translate SQL queries to aggregation pipelines without a running BI Connector or MongoDB instance.
- Fixes a problem that caused the BI Connector to generate unnecessarily
- Fixes a bug that caused the BI Connector to generate incorrect table pipelines in polymorphic schema mapping mode.
- Fixes a bug that caused the BI Connector to panic when printing some query plans.
- Fixes a bug where the BI Connector’s in-memory evaluation of string-to-date conversions did not match the pushdown behavior.
- Updates the supported Amazon Linux version to match the version supported by MongoDB 4.2.
- Fixes a bug with Active Directory constrained delegation in the BI Connector’s GSSAPI implementation (linux and macOS).
- Introduces a
--gssapiConstrainedDelegationflag that must be enabled to ensure existing Kerberos configurations are not broken.
- Fixes a bug that caused Kerberos authentication to fail with a linux
mongosqld, MongoDB 4.0, and an Active Directory KDC.
- Fixes a number of small bugs related to correlated subqueries.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.10.0¶
Released Mar 15, 2019
- Fixes a bug where aggregate functions returned
NULLin dual queries with the
- Fixes a bug where some invalid
DUALqueries did not return an error.
- Fixes a bug that prevented pushdown of some joins to derived tables
- Fixes some correctness bugs in the in-memory evaluation for mysql-mode conversions.
- Fixes a bug where some trig functions (
asin) could return incorrect results due to missing type conversions.
- Fixes a bug where some subquery comparisons could return incorrect results due to missing type conversions.
- Fixes a bug where we lost precision while converting a
- Fixes a correctness bug with the
INSERTscalar function's pushdown translation.
- Fixes a bug where unstable sorting caused non-deterministic renaming of colliding collection/field names during schema mapping.
- Fixes a bug where some valid subquery comparisons returned errors.
- Fixes a bug where some valid subquery and tuple comparisons returned errors.
- Fixes a bug where queries using
xorreturned errors on MongoDB 3.2 because the generated pipelines required features added in MongoDB 3.4.
- Fixes a bug that caused kerberos authentication to fail with MongoDB 4.0.
Date and Time Changes¶
This release resolves a number of inconsistencies in the BI Connector's date and timestamp semantics. Resolving these inconsistencies resulted in some changes to user-facing behavior:
Removes inconsistent support for partial dates.
- MySQL can represent partial dates that are missing month or day components. It is impossible to represent these incomplete dates with MongoDB dates. Attempting to correctly manipulate and render incomplete dates was causing a number of bugs and inconsistencies with complete dates.
- Starting with version 2.10, the BI Connector does not support operations on or expressions that return incomplete dates. Going forward, we cannot provide guarantees about the behavior of operations that attempt to construct incomplete dates.
TIMESTAMP(a)scalar functions to be equivalent to
CAST(a AS DATE), and
CAST(a AS DATETIME), respectively.
- The behavior of the
TIMESTAMPscalar functions will depend on the value of the
type_conversion_modevariable. This will change the default behavior for those scalar functions.
Queries affected by this change can be rewritten to use a more explicit conversion function (such as
str_to_date) that does not depend on
type_conversion_mode. If an affected query cannot be rewritten, a user may set
mysql, which instructs the BI Connector to perform all type conversions with MySQL semantics instead of MongoDB semantics.Important
This is discouraged unless absolutely necessary, as it significantly curtails the ability to push down type conversions across the board.
- For more information on type conversions and the
type_conversion_modesystem variable, see Type Conversion Modes.
- The behavior of the
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.9.0¶
Released Dec 18, 2018
Features and Performance Improvements¶
- Includes a sample
mongosqldconfiguration file in the release archive.
- Allows setting commonly used system variables in the configuration file.
- Optimizes conversions of years to days.
- General performance improvements.
- Improves the BI Connector's resiliency to queries against fields that may contain unsupported BSON types.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.2¶
Released Nov 16, 2018
- Fixes correctness bugs discovered in polymorphic schema mapping, query
- Fixes a performance regression in a common query pattern.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.1¶
Released Nov 09, 2018
- Fixes a bug in the behavior of the
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.8.0¶
Released Nov 06, 2018
Features and Performance Improvements¶
- Improvements in parsing
- Fixes to how the BI Connector honors readPreference specifications.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.7.0¶
Released Oct 02, 2018
Features and Performance Improvements¶
- Collapse associative functions
- Support the
- Support the
- Improve filter optimization for MongoDB versions 3.6 and later
- Expose type_conversion_mode in configuration parameters
- Cache catalog columns for quicker lookup
- Fix incorrect semantics for null safe equality operator (
||operator returns incorrect type (and value) when operating on two strings
WHEREclause removed in certain cross-join queries
- Fix some incorrect left self-join results when dynamic schemas are used
- Support turning off view optimization with
- ODBC driver on macOS should install in versioned directories
- Fix ODBC driver installer issue on macOS that caused unicode driver to be reported as ANSI
Released version 1.2.0 of the MongoDB ODBC Driver.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.6.1¶
Released Sep 21, 2018
- Resolved an issue caused by how scalar functions handle string values.
We encourage Tableau users running BIC 2.6.0 to upgrade to 2.6.1.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.6.0¶
Released Sep 04, 2018
- Added EXPLAIN() support.
- Push down type conversions to MongoDB servers running version 4.0 or later.
- Improved the handling of polymorphic data by updating the BI Connector's type conflict resolution system.
- Added Common Table Expression (CTE) support.
SCRAM-SHA-256mechanism to the following:
- Released the MongoDB ODBC driver for Linux.
- Added the
mongosqld --prejoincommand line option for combining array data and non-array data into a single table.
Users can use EXPLAIN to return details of aggregation pipeline used to generate query results.
Common Table Expression Support¶
The BI Connector now supports queries that include Common Table Expressions.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.5.0¶
Released May 23, 2018
- Improved memory management for
- New SSPI support for
--sampleNamespacesoption now supports exclusion.
NULLvalued types are now cast to varchar during sampling.
TANare now pushed down.
New SSPI Support¶
Windows Clients may now use kerberos to authenticate against the BI Connector.
NULL Valued Types Are Now Cast to Varchar During Sampling¶
This resolves the issue where queries would fail due to
being ignored during sampling. Now,
NULL values will be cast as SQL
TAN Are Now Pushed Down¶
BI Connector will now push down
functions. This will improve performance for queries using these
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.4.1¶
Released Mar 09, 2018
We've released version 2.4.1 of the MongoDB Connector for BI for production deployment. This release contains minor bug fixes for users of the BI Connector and is a recommended upgrade for all 2.4 users.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.4.0¶
Released Feb 21, 2018
- Support for 3.6 Aggregate Expressions.
- Pushdown for subqueries and non-equijoins.
- Killing SQL query now also kills MongoDB operation.
- Permission changes for
DRDLfile users. When
mongosqldruns with authentication enabled, admin credentials must be provided with the
--mongo-passwordoptions or the
mongodb.net.auth.passwordsettings in the configuration file.
MongoDB Connector for BI version 2.4 improves more expressive queries. New features include:
BI Connector 2.4 improves support for aggregate expressions including math, date, and string functions.
Improved Support for Subqueries and Non-equijoins¶
With version 2.4,
mongosqld has improved support for
subqueries and non-equijoins.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.3.1¶
Released Nov 10, 2017
- Fixes minor incompatibility with MongoDB 3.2.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.3.0¶
Released Nov 08, 2017
- Simplified and centralized Schema Management.
- Supports log rotation.
- Standardized logging in the BI Connector.
TRIMfunctions down to MongoDB.
MongoDB Connector for BI version 2.3 improves enterprise deployment support. The new features include:
Improved Schema Management¶
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.2.1¶
Released Aug 29, 2017
- Fixes lack of support for Read Preference tags which are used when targeting reads to specific members of a replica set.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.2.0¶
Released Jul 31, 2017
Supports authenticating directly against MongoDB using the new C and JDBC authentication plugins. These plugins support SCRAM-SHA-1 and PLAIN mechanisms and remove the SSL requirement for authentication. The authentication plugins can be found on GitHub:
- Supports configuration files for mongosqld.
- Supports installing and running mongosqld as a Windows system service.
- Provides a Windows MSI installer for the MongoDB Connector for BI.
Provides new command line arguments for default auth mechanism and database:
- default user source (default of
- default authentication mechanism (default of SCRAM-SHA-1)
- Provides a new startup option to specify default VARCHAR length
- Reports the following metrics reported:
- Threads Connected
- Can bind mongosqld to multiple IP addresses
- Provides a new runtime options
to limit memory usage of
MongoDB Connector for BI Version 2.0 introduced passthrough authentication, in which clients authenticate as a user defined in MongoDB, without the need to create a separate user within the connector itself.
MongoDB Connector for BI Version 2.2 further increases ease of use with a set of authentication plugins which can authenticate users through the connector without the need for SSL certificates. These plugins perform user authentication via the SASL framework and support the SCRAM-SHA-1 and PLAIN authentication mechanisms. We currently provide authentication plugins in the following languages:
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.1.0¶
- Provides substantial performance improvements for some common
$matchstages earlier in the aggregation pipeline to improve to index utilization.
- Pushes down more SQL functions and operators to the aggregation pipeline.
- Supports additional SQL language features, such as
SHOW CREATE TABLEstatements,
STRAIGHT_JOIN, the unary plus (
+) operator, and the
INTERVALkeyword in date arithmetic.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.0.0¶
Released Nov 29, 2016
Improved Server-Side Execution¶
The MongoDB Connector for BI delivers significant performance and scalability improvements by moving as much execution as possible to the underlying MongoDB instance. Pushing execution down to the server reduces network latency and reduces bandwidth consumption.
This approach also reduces memory and CPU consumption in the MongoDB Connector for BI itself.
The user authentication process is now passed through the MongoDB Connector for BI to the underlying MongoDB instance. Users now authenticate as a user already created within MongoDB.
The MongoDB Connector for BI package is now trimmed down from four separate components to two:
- This tool connects to a MongoDB instance and generates a Document-Relational Definition Language (DRDL) file, which maps a given collection shape to relational schema.
Once installed and run as a daemon,
mongosqldresponds to SQL queries, requests for DB information, and schema from the requesting BI tool via the MySQL wire protocol.
MongoDB Connector for BI Version 2.x is compatible with SQL-99 SELECT statements, and uses the MySQL wire protocol.
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.0.2¶
Released Jan 5, 2017
MongoDB Connector for BI 2.0.1¶
Released Dec 13, 2016
- Fixes precedence issue with the
- Fixes error looking up privilege information in databases with capital letters.
LIKEpattern matching in
- Improves formatting of aggregation pipeline in logs.
- Fixes substring function when the combined length of the starting index and substring exceeds the length of the string.